[Snort-users] v2.8.4 incorrect logging to MySQL

Jason Brvenik jasonb at ...1935...
Tue Apr 14 14:03:33 EDT 2009

It sounds to me like some general education is needed. The latency
between unified to DB is nothing that can be perceived by humans, if
it is then the latency between engine and DB is going to be critical
to performance of the engine itself.

What is a use case that even a second delay (not the typical Milli
Second) would have an impact?

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Jack Pepper
<pepperjack at ...14319...> wrote:
> I disagree vehemently.  I like the flexibility (warts and all) that
> comes with the current model.  It's true that high flexibility leads
> to high complexity which invariably leads to maintenance challenges.
> No argument there.
>
> but to take away the flexibility and adaptability would damage the
> snort product.
>
> Unified is good enough for reporting and charts, and all that blah
> blah blah.  but if you really want to build a security device around
> the snort detect engine, unified is too weak for real time response
> and analysis.  the unified model carries too much latency for real
> time processing.
>
> the alternative to complexity is to choose either a limited, dumbed
> down product or a closed source product.  Both models (static
> deployability model and closed source model) have demonstrably failed
> to keep pace with the ingenuity and skill of our common adversary.
> simple tools suck.
>
> jp
>
> Quoting JJ Cummings <cummingsj at ...11827...>:
>
>> /me raises hand.. "I"
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Joel Esler <jesler at ...1935...> wrote:
>>
>>> Seconded.

>>> --
>>> joel esler | Sourcefire | gtalk: jesler at ...1935... | 302-223-5974

>>> archive: