[Snort-users] v2.8.4 incorrect logging to MySQL

Jason Brvenik jasonb at ...1935...
Tue Apr 14 12:53:06 EDT 2009

There are a few things I don't think you are considering.

1) DB writes are blocking, the engine cannot inspect packets while it
writes to DB.
2) Running a DB on the same system is not a design goal for something
that needs to react near real-time, it should be offloaded.
3) Direct disk writes are much faster than DB writes, in any environment.
4) Other output methods are not going to be regression tested as often
and are prone to break.