[Snort-users] v2.8.4 incorrect logging to MySQL

Danny Paul JDPAUL at ...14549...
Tue Apr 14 12:34:11 EDT 2009

Thumbs down. Nay.

I installed barnyard yesterday to overcome the bug and discovered that
my load more than doubled. I don't need the increased complexity of
barnyard and disagree completely with the notion that it is more
efficient to write the alert to disk twice (snort->unified, then
unified->DB) vs once (snort->DB). In an environment where CPUs are fast
and RAM is plentiful but you are I/O bound (which will probably a lot
servers) why would you want to write data more often than necessary?

Better yet, the DB backend allows you to offload your logging to
another server freeing up more of the sensor's capacity. I simply do not
see the advantage and emplore the snort developers to continue
development of multiple backends.

>>> On 4/14/2009 at 11:08 AM, in message
<1c79c7b70904140908v64967a68uf5048ebedada2ef1 at ...11828...>,

<jasonb at ...1935...>wrote:

>>> Here is my vote to remove all output methods from the engine
except
>>> unified, to remove the code complexity. People are much better off
>>> having two dedicated processes achieving a common goal than they
are
>>> with the code complexity and issues in the one code base.
>>>
>>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM, James Lay
<jlay at ...13475...>

>>> write

>>> rule
>>> snort

>>> kids
>>> mission
>>> that

>> --
>> joel esler | Sourcefire | gtalk: jesler at ...1935... |
302-223-5974

> --

** Virus scanned by City of Columbia MO Email Firewall **