[Snort-users] Question regarding the use of the terms "enabled" and "disabled" as it applies to SourceFire VRT Rules

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Mon Apr 13 14:21:27 EDT 2009

Think of Enabled vs Disabled being "On or off" by default.

So 7567 is off by default, but in the ruleset in the SPYWARE-PUT file.

On Apr 13, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Stephen Mullins wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As seen in this changelog
> (http://www.snort.org/vrt/docs/ruleset_changelogs/changes-2006-08-22.html
> ),
> what do the words "enabled" or "disabled" mean?
>
> 7567 <-> Disabled <-> SPYWARE-PUT Trackware funwebproducts
> mywebsearchtoolbar-funtools runtime detection (spyware-put.rules)
>
> Rule 7567 is still in the most recent rule packs so it obviously
> doesn't mean that the rule itself is being removed or "disabled" in
> the sense that it is no longer in effect.
>
> If anyone could clarify I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Mullins

Joel Esler T: 302-223-5974 (-) Gtalk: jesler at ...1935...
[m]