[Snort-users] Question on 663 - solved

Jack Pepper pepperjack at ...14319...
Thu Apr 9 13:09:27 EDT 2009

ok, so i will rudely answer my own post, but only so that the thread
ends with a resolution, rather than ending with "we all lost interest".

Here is the description from arachnids:

Rule:

--
Sid:
663

--
the payload of a packet sent to a Sendmail server.  This may be an
attempt to exploit a problem in older versions of Sendmail.

--
Impact:
Attempted administrator access.  A successful attack can allow remote

--
Detailed Information:
A vulnerability exists in older versions of Sendmail associated with

--
Affected Systems:
Sendmail versions prior to 5.5.9.

--
Attack Scenarios:
An attacker can craft a recipient name that is a command. This command

--
Ease of Attack:
Easy.  An attacker can telnet to port 25 of a vulnerable server, enter

--
False Positives:
It is possible that this event may be generated by text in the DATA

--
False Negatives:
This rule generates an event based on a specific string in the packet

--
Corrective Action:
Upgrade to Sendmail version 5.5.9 or higher.

--
Contributors:
Original rule written by Max Vision <vision at ...4...>

--
Additional References:

Bugtraq:
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1

CVE:
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-1999-0095

Arachnids:
http://www.whitehats.com/info/IDS172

--

Framework?  I don't need no stinking framework!