[Snort-users] Snort 2.8.4 Now Available

Matt Watchinski mwatchinski at ...1935...
Wed Apr 8 13:38:07 EDT 2009

Sure,

Here is a quick summary of what is on the rules Download Page.

Each of the 2_X packages track the latest minor release.  IE the 2.8
packages contain things that only work in 2.8.3.2.  The next set of
packages released in the 2_8 will track 2.8.4 and will contain all the
netbios changes.

So to answer your question it will break earlier 2.8 releases.

Additionally CURRENT doesn't mean the English Definition of "current"
as in the latest release.  It is a revision control term meaning
latest and greatest CVS snapshot.  Therefore CURRENT could contain
whatever crazy beta features are in the works.

Given all that, here is exactly what is going to happen hopefully today.

1. A new set of rule packages will be released.  If you are a
subscriber and can get rules immediately the following will happen.

The 2.7 rule packages will contain all the OLD NETBIOS rules
The 2.8 rule packages will contain all the NEW NETBIOS rules
The CURRENT rule packages will contain all the NEW NETBIOS rules

2. If your doing automatic updates with oinkmaster and are pointing at
2.8 or CURRENT and are not running 2.8.4 things will break.

If you are a registered user and not a subscriber the above will
happen in 30 days.

Hopefully that explains it.

Cheers,