[Snort-users] tcpdump script

Joel Esler eslerj at ...11827...
Tue Apr 7 19:23:33 EDT 2009

May I suggest a method like Shadow?  If you can find the old Shadow
scripts, that's an excellent way to do it.

Before I came to Sourcefire I did this exact thing.  I had tcpdump
logging on several sensors.  Every hour, I had a script that would
start tcpdump up, logging to a new file, and then stop the old one,
and then gzip the old one.

Then, every 5 minutes past the hour, I had a central machine that
would reach out, grab these large tcpdump files and pull them up to a
central location.  I then had a ton of scripts that went through all
these files for anomalies and what not.

Then concept that I mirrored was the Shadow IDS concept, however, it
worked very differently.

Joel

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Jefferson, Shawn
<Shawn.Jefferson at ...14448...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to run tcpdump to capture all traffic on my snort sensor, so that
> if I want to go take a look at traffic based on snort alerts I could get
> more context.  I’ve setup a couple of scripts to gzip the packet captures
> and send them to a storage server.  My question is about starting tcpdump
> itself.  I tried doing it in the same script that starts snort and barnyard,
> but this didn’t seem to work and I think it’s due to the fact that tcpdump
> needs to be run as root (?).
>
> So, I’ve created a root cron job that runs every five minutes will start
> tcpdump if it finds it not running (using “pidof tcpdump”).
>
> Not being a linux guru, is this the right way to approach this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

joel esler | Sourcefire | gtalk: jesler at ...1935... | 302-223-5974