[Snort-users] ERROR: Failed to find InitializeDetection()

Ricardo F. Teixeira ricardo.teixas at ...11827...
Wed Sep 10 15:38:50 EDT 2008

Thanks for the reply Alberto.

Someone in the forum, mwatchinski (by the way thanks :) ), told me
that I have Dynamic rules and Dynamic preprocessors in the same
directory.

I change the directorys rules and it works :)

By the way I compiled snort from the source.

Regards,

Ricardo F. Teixeira

Em 2008/09/10, às 20:27, Alberto Colosi/SI/RM/GSI/it escreveu:

I'm not so sure! maybe I'm wrong but:

 > /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrule/libsf_ftptelnet_preproc.so:
undefined
 > symbol:
 > InitializeDetection
 > Fatal Error, Quitting..

should say that the file is in place but load badly "undefined symbol".

Have you used RPM package? I ever compile my packages :D
(best at least for me)

-------------------------------
Alberto Colosi
IBM Global Business Services
Sistemi Informativi S.P.A.
IT NetWork & Security Department
*-* *-* *-*
SECURITY IS EVERYONE'S BUSINESS

Member of
IBM Information Security WW CoP

<graycol.gif>Seth <sethsec at ...11827...>

Seth <sethsec at ...11827...>
Sent by: snort-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
10/09/2008 17.34

<ecblank.gif>
<ecblank.gif>
snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
<ecblank.gif>
cc
<ecblank.gif>
<ecblank.gif>
Subject
<ecblank.gif>
Re: [Snort-users] ERROR: Failed to find InitializeDetection()
<ecblank.gif>	<ecblank.gif>

Ricardo,

Run: find / -name libsf_ftptelnet_preproc.so and figure out where that
file is located.

Your snort.conf is looking for that file here:
/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrule/libsf_ftptelnet_preproc.so and the
output is telling you it is having trouble finding it.

Once you figure out where that file is located, you can either change
the line in snort.conf, or you can relocate the files to where
snort.conf thinks they should be.

Regards,

Seth

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Ricardo F. Teixeira
<ricardo.teixas at ...11827...> wrote:
 > Hi people,
 >
 > I'm having this strange error, when I try to run snort:

 > libsf_engine.so... done
 > snort_dynamicrule...
 > /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrule/libsf_ftptelnet_preproc.so... ERROR:
 > Failed to find
 > InitializeDetection() function in /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrule/
 > libsf_ftptelnet_preproc.so:
 > /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrule/libsf_ftptelnet_preproc.so:
undefined
 > symbol:
 > InitializeDetection
 > Fatal Error, Quitting..
 >
 > Snort: Version 2.8.3 (Build 16)
 > OS: Slackware 12.1
 >
 > Anybody knows what it means?
 >
 > Best regards,
 >
 > Ricardo F. Teixeira

challenge
great prizes
the world

challenge
prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
world
Snort-users list archive: