[Snort-users] problems installing snort with mysql on Ubuntu server 8.04 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Oct 21 17:11:38 EDT 2008

I also did the same thing... What's being disabled here?

________________________________

From: Douglas Burks [mailto:doug.burks at ...14446...]
Sent: October 21, 2008 1:01 PM
To: Craig; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] problems installing snort with mysql on
Ubuntu server 8.04 (UNCLASSIFIED)

I had a similar problem and was able to resolve it by changing line 2556
in the configure file.  I changed the line from this:
LIBS="${LIBS} -lz -lssl -lmysqlclient"
To this:
LIBS="${LIBS} -lmysqlclient"

Doug

On 10/21/08 3:48 PM, "Craig" <reswob10 at ...11827...> wrote:

> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>

> OK.  I've been working on this for two whole days.  Here's my problem
in a
> nutshell:
>
> Installation of barnyard with mysql fails at this point:
>
> checking for

/root/snorttemp/snort-2.8.3.1/src/win32/WIN32-Includes/mysql//mysql.h...
yes

http://linux.justinhartman.com/Intrusion_Detection_using_BASE_and_Snort

> First, I installed Ubuntu Server 8.04 with LAMP and SSH server.
> I then updated all sources and upgraded all installed packages
> I then downloaded the latest Snort, PCRE, LIBPCAP, BASE and ADOdb.
> To get libpcap to configure and install, I first had to run the
following:

> sudo apt-get install gcc g++ libc6-dev make flex bison libpcap-dev
>
> After that, libpcap installed no problem.  But when I tried to install
Snort
> with the following command:
>
> sudo ./configure --enable-dynamicplugin --with-mysql
>
> it complained about not finding the mysql headers.  So I amended the
command
> to:
>
> sudo ./configure --enable-dynamicplugin --with-mysql
> --with-mysql-includes=./snort-2.8.3.1/src/win32/WIN32-Includes/mysql/
>
> which is the directory where mysql.h was located.  Then, I got the
following
> error:
>
> checking for dlsym in -ldl... no
> checking for dlsym in -lc... no
>
>     ERROR!  programmatic interface to dynamic link loader
>     not found.  Cannot use dynamic plugin libraries."
>
> More searching found several recommendations against configuring snort
with
> mysql.  So I tried again without mysql and it worked.  Great.  So I
then
> obtained the latest version of barnyard and attempted to install that.
>
> But when I ran the following command:
>
> sudo ./configure --enable-mysql

-with-mysql-includes=/root/snorttemp/snort-2.8.3.1/src/win32/WIN32-Inclu
des/