[Snort-users] Snort only alert about traffic with an specific IP

Berta Alcala berta83 at ...11827...
Fri May 30 04:12:39 EDT 2008

Thank you very much for your help.
I can not access to the switch I'm connected to, so I don't know how it is
configurated. I will try to get access to the switch.
I'm doing a degree essay at the University and the most important thing for
me is to know why something doesn't work, if the problem is the switch that
is enought for me. But what I really need to know is why some rules work and
why others don't.

If you use this rule, does it work for you? why not for me??

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> any 1863 (msg:"CHAT MSN logout"; flags:PA+;
content:"OUT"; classtype:policy-violation; sid:1000009; rev:1;)

I have no problem with a rule to alert about MSN login, that is similar but
with content LoginTime" instead of "OUT"

Or this other one form info.rules ("INFO FTP no password", with sid:489,
works for me):

alert tcp $HOME_NET 21 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"INFO FTP Bad login";
flow:from_server,established; content:"530 ";
pcre:"/^530\s+(Login|User)/smi"; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:491; rev:8;)

There are many rules that don't work. I suppose the problem has to be in
snort.conf file.