[Snort-users] Snort only alert about traffic with an specific IP

Leon Ward seclists at ...14165...
Thu May 29 04:31:34 EDT 2008

Hi.

> Using Ethereal I only see traffic with my IP as source, or
> destination, or broadcast traffic.

Then it is clear that either one of the following *must* be true.
  - You are connected to a switch port (and therefore only this
traffic is being sent to your device)
  - The user you are running ethereal as does not have permission to
place the capture device into promisc mode

Although Jason's point about checksum offloading is correct, I don't
think it applies here. Ethereal would not throw away traffic if the
checksums are incorrect on the packets, they would simply be marked as
having incorrect checksums in the capture. Looking at your pcap we can
see:

IP Header checksum: 0x669b [correct]
         [Good: True]
         [Bad : False]
TCP Checksum: 0x9646 [correct]
         [Good Checksum: True]
         [Bad Checksum: False]

If you have the rights to configure the switch, you need to set your
port as a monitor/mirror/SPAN port (the terminology varies between
venders, but essentially means the same thing).
Before you start trying to run Snort in an IDS mode, make sure you can
sniff the wire correctly.

-Leon