[Snort-users] ./configure ERROR!

Nigel Houghton nigel at ...1935...
Wed May 14 21:50:22 EDT 2008

On 5/14/08 6:54 PM, "Curtis LaMasters" <curtislamasters at ...11827...> wrote:

> I am getting an error when running ./configure on a freshly installed Suse
> 10.3 system.  The error is:
>
> ERROR!  programmatic interface to dynamic link loader not found.  Cannot use
> dynamic plugin libraries.
>
> It follows these two lines:
>
> checking for dlsym in -ldl... no
> checking for dlsym in -lc... no
>
> I am trying to install Snort with MySQL support.  Any ideas?

In the docs directory of the tarball, there is a file named INSTALL, in this
file you will find the following information:

 Problems may also be encountered if both the 32bit and 64bit libraries
 are installed on the system, and configuring snort with MySQL support
 may result in a different error:

 checking for mysql... yes
 checking for compress in -lz... yes
 checking for dlsym in -ldl... no
 checking for dlsym in -lc... no

    ERROR!  programmatic interface to dynamic link loader
    not found.  Cannot use dynamic plugin libraries.

<some other stuff>

 This likely indicates a compability issue between a 32bit library
 from mysql (found in its normal location), and a 64bit library for
 libdl (dynamic loader).  Use the --with-mysql-libraries option to
 specify the location of the 64bit mysql library (e.g. /usr/lib64/mysql).

If that doesn't answer your question, a lot more information is required
about your installation, what version of snort, configure options, etc. etc.
etc.

--
Nigel Houghton
Resident Hooligan