[Snort-users] Building snort

Todd Wease twease at ...1935...
Wed May 14 08:55:00 EDT 2008

Hello Jon,

This message is actually wrong:

"[**] [116:6:1] (snort_decoder) WARNING: IP dgm len > IP Hdr len! [**]"

It should read that the IP datagram length is greater than the pcap
captured length from the IP header on.

Also, you shouldn't see messages like that in a unified file and I'm not
sure any postprocessor would show the data that way.  Sounds like you're
just looking at a text alert file.

Are you specifying a snaplen to snort?  If so, remove it.  If not, try
logging in tcpdump mode and look at the resulting snort.log.<timestamp>
in Wireshark and see what those packets look like.

Todd