[Snort-users] Deployment Sizes? was: anyone trying kickfire to improve SQL performance?

moses at ...14297... moses at ...14297...
Mon May 5 10:09:34 EDT 2008

Although CPU is important; disk I/O may be more important. I would
probably say that even if you could find a good balance of processors
and memory. Disk I/O will cause you to loose packets more than
processor or memory issues. Here is my suggestion

Break up your snort processing power into multiple devices. For
several reasons

#1 never under estimate the idea of distrubuted processing. Having
multiple collectors on different pieces of hardware will allow you to
overcome the limitations of

  - stack and os issues with not being able to process so much traffic
  - issues with you PCI or pcix stac not able to keep up.
  - issues with your I/o not able to keep up

#2 hiarchacal architecture of your collector (snort) to aggregator
(log) to database will help you not only collect data but also help in
parsing it

#3 consider a network rearchitecture where you group devices by os and
application to apply signatures and policies in an organized fashion:

if you have several linux apache wevservers maybe consider not
placing them on the same subnet as mysql servers so that you can apply
linux signatures and apache signatures ( and http preprocessors) to
that collector ( collector "a" ) and Linux and mysql signatures to
( collector "b".)

You may find that several cheap collectors may yield better more
accurate results and possibly resilience rather than a single large
collector.

Moses Hernandez