[Snort-users] Deployment Sizes? was: anyone trying kickfire to improve SQL performance?

Stewart L stewartl42 at ...11827...
Sat May 3 21:40:16 EDT 2008

I figured we'd add until we start dropping too many packets.   The CPU load
on each core is only about 45% right now and we're dropping less than 1% of
packets through the box.  We're also doing some processor affinity stuff and
dedicating a couple cores to SQL and each instance of snort gets it's own
core as well.

I'd be interested in hearing from other folks doing large setups...

Stewart

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Jason Haar <Jason.Haar at ...294...> wrote:

> Stewart L wrote:
> > Well, I wasn't in charge of the deployment. I handed it off to one of
> > the guys on my team to do the research and recommendations.
> >
> > Part of the problem is that there is no SOLID advice out there on how
> > to set up and tweak a lot of this stuff.  We have the oreilly books
> > and have done some searches, but there is a lot of hand waving and not
> > a lot of solid answers.
>
> There are too many variables for there to be a "one size fits all"
> answer. That's why companies like SourceFire exist - they do all that
> background 'thinking' for you and produce a product that 'just works'.
>
> You should check the solution you have actually works. 6-16 100Mbs
> Ethernet monitors on one box is probably too many. Unless you've
> cherry-picked the motherboard,Ethernet cards, etc. And I'm assuming
> they're 100M - if they are Gb - you almost certainly have a problem.
>

> > So, you're saying that if I were to have another machine do the actual
> > capture and a separate database machine, I'd be better off in the long
> > haul?  That should be pretty easy to set up.
> >
> Yup - you won't get all the hard SQL work interfering with the hard
> packet sniffing work. And barnyard of course instead of native SQL
> support.
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Jason Haar
> Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
> Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417
> PGP Fingerprint: 7A2E 0407 C9A6 CAF6 2B9F 8422 C063 5EBB FE1D 66D1

Stewart

The revolution will not be televised.
The revolution will be no re-run brothers;
The revolution will be live.