[Snort-users] Deployment Sizes? was: anyone trying kickfire to improve SQL performance?

Stewart L stewartl42 at ...11827...
Sat May 3 07:39:40 EDT 2008

Well, I wasn't in charge of the deployment. I handed it off to one of the
guys on my team to do the research and recommendations.

Part of the problem is that there is no SOLID advice out there on how to set
up and tweak a lot of this stuff.  We have the oreilly books and have done
some searches, but there is a lot of hand waving and not a lot of solid
answers.

So, you're saying that if I were to have another machine do the actual
capture and a separate database machine, I'd be better off in the long
haul?  That should be pretty easy to set up.

Stewart

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Jason Haar <Jason.Haar at ...294...>
wrote:

> Stewart L wrote:
> > Define a large installation?
> >
> > That's something I've been wondering... We've set up a big central
> > snort box on a 16 core machine with 16GB or RAM and 1.2TB of disk.
> > We're currently running 6 instances of snort on this hardware and plan
> > on having 12-16 instances when our rollout is complete.   We'll likely
> > also have a couple remote sensors feeding stuff into MySQL over the
> > network.
> >

> ..well that classifies you as "a large installation" in my eyes :-)
>
> BTW: are you saying you're running 6 instances of snort on the same box
> as your database? I thought that was a Bad Idea(tm)...
>
> However, I guess if your IDS only generate 1 event per minute, then
> there really isn't much competing occurring. Although when you actually
> use the SQL data (eg via BASE), then it could hurt your packet
> inspection...?
>

> --
> Cheers
>
> Jason Haar
> Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
> Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417
> PGP Fingerprint: 7A2E 0407 C9A6 CAF6 2B9F 8422 C063 5EBB FE1D 66D1

Stewart

The revolution will not be televised.
The revolution will be no re-run brothers;
The revolution will be live.