[Snort-users] Deployment Sizes? was: anyone trying kickfire to improve SQL performance?

Stewart L stewartl42 at ...11827...
Fri May 2 21:34:40 EDT 2008

Define a large installation?

That's something I've been wondering... We've set up a big central snort box
on a 16 core machine with 16GB or RAM and 1.2TB of disk.   We're currently
running 6 instances of snort on this hardware and plan on having 12-16
instances when our rollout is complete.   We'll likely also have a couple
remote sensors feeding stuff into MySQL over the network.

I'm sure there are some bigger installs out there.   Any folks done any this
size or larger and want to trade war stories and experiences?  I'm sure at
some point we will hit some limitations based on I/O.  I'd love to hear what
other folks do in those cases.  Is upgrading hardware the only answer?

Stewart

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Jason Haar <Jason.Haar at ...294...> wrote:

> I've just heard about a MySQL appliance that uses a "SQL chip" and other
> 'secret sauce' techniques to "massively improve mySQL performance".
>
> Anyone actually tried it with a large Snort installation? Any comments?
>
> See http://www.kickfire.com/ for details
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Jason Haar
> Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
> Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417
> PGP Fingerprint: 7A2E 0407 C9A6 CAF6 2B9F 8422 C063 5EBB FE1D 66D1

Stewart

The revolution will not be televised.
The revolution will be no re-run brothers;
The revolution will be live.