[Snort-users] Snort on web servers behind reverse proxies

Tudor Panaitescu TPanaitescu at ...2032...
Thu May 1 11:34:39 EDT 2008

Hi Joel,

In my scenario the proxies are reverse proxies, they are not inside my
network and I am not worried about my internal IP addresses leaking out.
All parts are outside facing the world  wide wild Internet, the clients
(one of them could be you :-) ) come to my web server through a bunch of
reverse proxies forwarding requests to my actual web servers, something
like this: Client -> Reverse Proxy -> Web server. On the web server, the
only thing I see in terms of IP addresses is just the IP addresses of the
reverse proxy and NOT the client's IP address. The only info of the
originating IP address (client's IP address) comes via the headers added by
the reverse proxies, as I mentioned in my previous email.

For your scenario, given that you use squid, just disable the
X-forwarded-for, walk in the park

Hope this clarifies the scenario.

Thanks,
Tudor

             Joel Esler
             <joel.esler at ...14350...
             efire.com>                                                 To
                                       Tudor Panaitescu
             05/01/2008 11:25          <TPanaitescu at ...2032...>
                                       snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Snort-users] Snort on web
                                       servers behind reverse proxies

Okay, Let me clarify and you tell me if I am wrong or right.  You want
to write a Snort rule to detect if your proxies are sending your
inside ip's out to the internet?  Or are you asking how to modify your
proxies so that they don't send the IP's at all?

joel