[Snort-users] Questions on stream inspection

Kamran Shafi kamran.shafi at ...11827...
Tue Mar 18 18:13:38 EDT 2008

Apologies for multiple postings if any, looks like this mail did not go
through the first time as it didn't apprear on the mailing list.

 Hello Guys,

Sorry but I have more questions to ask as part of my learning curve :-)

- When is a TCP session considered established in stream5? Snort manual says
for the require_3whs option - Establish sessions only on completion of a
SYN/SYN-ACK/ACK handshake. The default is off.
- What about UDP and ICMP sessions?
- Does Snort inspect each segment belonging to a stream individually or in
the context of the stream or both? More specifically, do the keywords such
as depth and offset look for patterns in each packet independently
or relative to the start of a session or both i.e. first on individual level
and then on the rebuilt packets?

--
Regards
Kam