[Snort-users] Logging Reassembled Packets

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Fri Mar 14 10:02:06 EDT 2008

I haven't looked at tcpdump's code in a long time but I think
Daemonlogger and tcpdump's performance will be very similar.  I
haven't taken any pains to accelerate anything in Daemonlogger, it's
simply an interface between libpcap, libdnet and the disk.  IIRC,
tcpdump when in "-w" mode wrote pretty directly to the disk with
almost no code overhead if it wasn't being asked to do anything else.
The chief advantage of Daemonlogger is that it's only about 900 lines
of code and it probably has more logfile management features than
tcpdump, although I haven't been keeping up with recent releases of
that codebase.

	-Marty