[Snort-users] Logging Reassembled Packets

Kamran Shafi kamran.shafi at ...11827...
Fri Mar 14 03:26:26 EDT 2008

Thank you all for your kind replies, I am overwhelmed.

It is bit disappointing that the reassembled sessions can not be logged by
Snort, afterall Snort CAN also work as a packet logger and log in pcap
format, then why is it that there is no option to log the re-built packets -
a functionality that Snort implements.
BTW, I just wanted to have a summary record of each session (initiated with
a 3WHS and terminated by a 4WHS) similar to the Snort's summary log packet
for portscans - I am not sure how tcpdump or other software mentioned in
this thread can do that. It looks like I will have to write one myself. In
addition I also wanted to track UDP and ICMP sessions - any ideas on how to
do that?

All this exercise to build a useful dataset for evaluating my little
supervised learning algorithm aimed at intrusion detection - Ah!!!

Regards
Kamran Shafi
+61 41 824 9510