[Snort-users] DOS attacks

Todd Wease twease at ...1935...
Thu Mar 13 09:02:12 EDT 2008

Hi Kamran,

Land attack is detected in the Snort decoder and teardrop is detected in
the frag3 preprocessor.  There is also a rule set called dos.rules that
you can try.  Snort does not detect flooding DoS attacks such as UDP
flood or TCP SYN flood because the resources required to track these
would in effect DoS Snort.  Snort typically starts tracking a session
after it has seen a server response (such as a SYN/ACK).

Not sure about the Nessus scan, but it could depend on your Snort
configuration and rule set.

Todd