[Snort-users] Port Aggregator Tap alternatives for snort sensor

Stephen Reese rsreese at ...11827...
Mon Mar 3 20:51:37 EST 2008

I can use the same sensor but then all of the traffic would also be
piled into one database and/or alerts. Is there a way to separate or
tag the traffic so snort or anything else for that matter can discern
the traffic?

Also the taps will be on different networks.

---internet----> TAP ---router---> TAP ----network cloud---

So internet and router reside on ports 1 and 2 of the 2950 switch.
Sensor port 3. Could the output of the router go to port say 4 and out
5 to the network and the sensor also monitor those two assuming they
should be on their own VLAN so there isn't any interference or will
there be problem with have multiple networks on the same switch due to
broadcasts and whatnot. Also besides the different networks the sensor
is still going to combine everything but I guess filters could be used
to help dissect the traffic?

Thanks for the help.