[Snort-users] Port Aggregator Tap alternatives for snort sensor

Stephen Reese rsreese at ...11827...
Mon Mar 3 18:55:53 EST 2008

I've been using a Cisco 2950 for single tap I have setup and it has
worked fine to date.

!
interface FastEthernet0/1
 switchport access vlan 100
 duplex full
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
 switchport access vlan 100
 duplex full
!
!
monitor session 1 source interface Fa0/1
monitor session 1 destination interface Fa0/3

Port one is the internet source, port two is to my routing device and
three is to my sensor.

I would like to setup some more taps without having to run more
switches. An alternative is to purchase a tap still (around $300) or
making one from scratch
(http://www.altsec.info/passive-network-tap.html) but I would prefer
not to have to deal with bonding interfaces. I was considering another
2950 switch (still cost around $250 used) but I figure there has got
to be a better solution? A port aggregator seems to be out of the
question since they seem to run around $1000...

Any recommendations? Thanks.