[Snort-users] Solution for snort user on openSUSE 11.0 snortd init script problmes running snort ad daemon using rcsnortd commands

Joel Esler eslerj at ...11827...
Thu Dec 18 11:11:45 EST 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 11:02 AM, Tedi Heriyanto allegedly wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Joel Esler <eslerj at ...11827...> wrote:
>>> After testing your script in my test machine, I still got the
>>> following warning message :
>>>
>>> Dec 18 22:01:04 myhost snort[13488]: Could not remove pid file
>>> /var/run//snort_eth0.pid: Permission denied
>>
>> Looks like your permissions to access the file are not correct.
>> Are you
>> sure you are running Snort as root?
> I am calling snort from /etc/init.d/snort script.
>
> I got the warning message although the files have been deleted. So I
> guess it's OK to ignore them.

Yeah, I don't know how your specific script starts, or how you are
running it.  But, if you can't access a .pid file, that usually means
you don't have the correct permissions.

--
Joel Esler
  http://www.joelesler.net