[Snort-users] Performance and rule tuning (linux)

Phil Wood cpw at ...440...
Tue Dec 2 14:00:11 EST 2008

Hi,

I maintain the version of the mmaped libpcap at:

  http://public.lanl.gov/cpw

There is some help on how to build the libpcap and an example
incantation which may fail, unless you have around 16 gigs of memory.  I
haven't spent the time on a nice algorithm to determine just how much
shared memory to steal for the duration.  I have a feeling that taking
too much at start up, may create problems later on, when other
applications need a shot.  You could run top on your machine or check
out /proc/meminfo over a period of time and look for fluctuations and
choose a PCAP_MEMORY value (in Kbytes) which
will not affect normal operations on your sensor.

You might want to 'rm -rf config' before running the bootstrap script.
Also, you may need to install the following:

  apt-get install libtool automake autoconf flex bison

Let me know how it goes.