[Snort-users] snort-stat warnings

Adam D. Barratt adam at ...14403...
Mon Aug 4 06:25:40 EDT 2008

Hi,

We're running snort 2.3.3-11 on Debian etch, and for the past few days the
cron.daily job has been generating a number of "Warning, file may be
incomplete" messages.

After a little experimentation, it appears that this is due to
/var/log/snort/alert containing the "header" line for a number of alerts
repeated (either that or the remaining data from the first item being lost);
for example:

[...]
[[**] [119:4:1] (http_inspect) BARE BYTE UNICODE ENCODING [**]]
[[**] [119:4:1] (http_inspect) BARE BYTE UNICODE ENCODING [**]]
[...]

Does anyone know what causes this, and whether it's anything we need to be
worried about?

Cheers,

Adam