[Snort-users] can I write rules to detect certain ftp downloads?

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at ...294...
Wed Apr 23 19:20:32 EDT 2008

Hi there

I have a requirement to be able to whitelist (ie. "pass" rule) certain
FTP transactions. This is easy to do with nice protocols like HTTP - but
the  dual-channel nature of FTP makes this hard for me at least.

Can I write a rule that would allow me to say "doing a GET on a file
containing 'XXX' on port 21 means any future traffic you then see
between these two IP addresses is OK"? I guess I'm asking if a
combination of "pass" rules and enabling "data_chan" on the ftptelnet
preprocessor will do the trick?

Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417