[Snort-users] Snort performance on Solaris 10 x86

sekure sekure at ...11827...
Tue Oct 16 08:45:51 EDT 2007

Bump...

Anybody have any opinion?  Anyone want to take a guess?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: sekure <sekure at ...11827...>
Date: Oct 12, 2007 1:40 PM
Subject: Snort performance on Solaris 10 x86
To: Snort Users <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>

Has anyone done any benchmarking for snort performance on Solaris 10
x86 vs. Linux or BSD?

I am currently running snort 2.4.2 on RedHat on 3 year old HP DL360
with Phil Wood's mmapped libpcap library, and handling 30-40 Mbps
pretty comfortably.  In the past I had problems capturing 1/10th of
that on Solaris 8 with comparable Sparc hardware, CPU would go through
the roof, packets dropped on the floor.

The hardware warranty is about to expire and I am going to have to
upgrade. The Unix admins at my company are pushing me to migrate to
Solaris 10 x86, since it's easier for them to maintain, and personally
i don't mind, IF the performance is there.  But I can't seem to find
anything on this list or anywhere for that matter with regards to
Snort performance on Solaris 10.

I can certainly undertake the testing myself, but I thought I'd ask
the list first.  So, anyone running Snort on Solaris 10 at any
significant speeds? Any special tweeks to make it work? Or should I
just stick with what works?

Thanks in advance.