[Snort-users] Alert on contents of proxy traffic

Gould, Scott scott.gould at ...11473...
Mon Nov 26 14:12:17 EST 2007

 Thanks for the info and explanation Will.

I did a little more testing and thought I would mention what I found in
case it makes any difference.

Turns out the traffic between the internal http proxy and users is
alerted on if I remove ONLY the "established" part of the rule flow
option.

Also, the proxy is a linux based McAfee SCM appliance that uses the
built-in mozilla/firefox/IE client side proxy settings.

I also noticed that if I do define a default http_inspect_server config
line, then even with the "established" part of the rule flow option
used, the IDS does NOT alert on the traffic.

Aka, if I do NOT define a default http_inspect_server config line, AND I
remove the "established" part of the rule flow option, then the traffic
between the internal http proxy and users is alerted on, as I would
like.  Now, I can't really go through all rules and remove the
established portion of the flow section.  I did define some
http_inspect_server config lines for our internal webservers.

Does any of the above offer any ideas as to what I could tweak other
than every single rule that I want to be alerted on?

Would creating a custom http_inspect_server config line for the internal
http proxy server perhaps allow this traffic to be alerted on?  Any
ideas on what options to use if this is the route to go?