[Snort-users] problem starting snort..kindly help

pearl carlo pearlcarlo at ...131...
Mon May 28 19:26:47 EDT 2007

Hi Scott, atkins, and rmkml

here is what i did after downloading the required packages to /local/usr/src

43  cd /usr/local
   44  tar zxvf src/pcre-7.1.tar.gz
   45  cd pcre-7.1
   46  ./configure
   47  make
   48  make install
   49  cd ..
   50  tar zxvf src/libnet-1.0.2a.tar.gz
   51  cd Libnet-1.0.2a/
   52  ./configure
   53  make
   54  make install
   55  cd ..
   56  tar zxvf src/libpcap-0.9.4.tar.gz
   57  cd libpcap-0.9.4/
   58  ./configure
   59  make
   60  make install
   61  cd ..
   62  tar zxvf src/snort-2.6.1.5.tar.gz
   63  cd snort-2.6.1.5/

In between here i installed mysql through rpm (devel and admin)

   78  ./configure --enable-flexresp --with-mysql --enable-dynamicplugin
   79  mkdir /etc/snort
   80  mkdir /var/log/snort
   81  tar zxvf /usr/local/src/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz  -C /etc/snort
   82  cp etc/*.conf* /etc/snort
   83  cp etc/*.map /etc/snort
   84  ln -s /usr/local/bin/snort /usr/sbin/snort
   85  groupadd snort
   86  useradd -g snort snort
   87  chown snort:snort /var/log/snort
   88  vi /etc/snort/snort.conf
   89  vi /etc/snort/snort.conf
 here i have chaged the RULE_PATH in the snort.conf file

  112  service mysqld status
  113  service mysqld start

here i had some problems related to mysql , sorted those out and continued
setting mysql
it took the schema and no problems creating database here

  164  /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
 at this stage i get the message
bash: /usr/local/bin/snort: No such file or directory

  whereis snort
or
whereis snort.conf
gives me
snort: /usr/sbin/snort /etc/snort

and if i give
/usr/sbin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf i get the follwing
bash: /usr/local/bin/snort: No such file or directory

tail -f /var/log/messages gives me following

May 28 15:54:53 localhost last message repeated 50 times
May 28 15:55:55 localhost last message repeated 50 times
May 28 15:56:57 localhost last message repeated 50 times
May 28 15:57:59 localhost last message repeated 50 times
May 28 15:59:01 localhost last message repeated 50 times
May 28 16:00:03 localhost last message repeated 50 times
May 28 16:01:05 localhost last message repeated 50 times
May 28 16:02:07 localhost last message repeated 50 times
May 28 16:03:09 localhost last message repeated 50 times
May 28 16:04:11 localhost last message repeated 50 times

Is it that i need to uninstall the packages and relaod the rpm based version..
can somebody give me clue to progress further and give me some idea what is going on and where could be the mistake...

appreciating for your time ..

pearl

"Atkins, Dwane P" <ATKINSD at ...9240...> wrote:     Pearl,

 If you do a tail -f /var/log/messages, do you see any errors?  Did you try and reconfigure it with the --with-mysql?