[Snort-users] non-standard-protocol : BAD-TRAFFIC IP Proto 103 PIM

David Ryan David.Ryan at ...13912...
Thu May 17 07:21:56 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I am seeing loads (like 90% of all events) of these events showing up on one of my Snort sensors.  I have looked at the description here - http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/sigs.cgi?sid=2189 - and I looked at the rule definition and it appears to match simply on the existence of IP protocol 103 as distinct from any payload within it.

I see the traffic coming from two known Cisco routers on the subnet I'm monitoring and the traffic is destined for 224.0.0.13 which is the multicast address for PIM - http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/pim.htm  I have also I have seen it on other sites and subnets on the network I am monitoring, so I guess whatever function is causing this traffic to originate from the router is used across the organisation.

In order to make the output from snort a little more readable (and because it is matching on the protocol and not the payload) I have disabled this rule.  I know the protocol in question is a routing-related protocol, but does anyone have any views or explanation on the normal use of this protocol ?

Thanks,

David
David Ryan
IT Security Engineer, Global IT Security
Quintiles, Global IT - Infrastructure, QDUB

david.ryan at ...14057...
v:  +353-1-819-5186, GMT+0
m: +353-87-124-9108

**********************  IMPORTANT--PLEASE READ  ************************
This electronic message, including its attachments, is COMPANY CONFIDENTIAL
and may contain PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information.  If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this message or any of the information included
in it is unauthorized and strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and
permanently delete this message and its attachments, along with any copies
thereof. If this electronic message contains a zipped attachment and you do
not have a decompression tool, you may download unZIP (free of cost) from:
http://www.mk-net-work.com/us/uz/unzip.htm. Alternatively, you may request
that the attachment be resent in an uncompressed format.        Thank you.