[Snort-users] Snort "promiscuous mode disabled...

Paul Melson pmelson at ...11827...
Fri May 11 10:50:40 EDT 2007

> May 11 09:35:23 MyPc rl0: promiscuous mode disabled
>
> I dont know why this doing this, it always work before...
> Did you know why, the promuscuous mode disabled?
> What can cause this?

That message just means that rl0 left promiscuous mode.  Somewhere near
Snort's startup messages you should see 'rl0: promiscuous mode enabled' or
something similar.  This is standard BSD behavior.

My guess is that this is a symptom, not the problem.  Try running snort with
your current arguments but also add -v and remove -D.  This will hopefully
give you a better idea of what's causing Snort to shut down unexpectedly.

PaulM