[Snort-users] Alerting in near-real-time

David.Ryan at ...13912... David.Ryan at ...13912...
Thu May 10 16:50:31 EDT 2007

Paul,

Thanks for the reply.  I have looked at sguil (following your post) and I
think it may cover what I am looking for, but the install documentation
indicates relations to lots of other packages such as NSM and p0f and
includes a lot of detail on setting up the snort install, logging to what
looks like another database (i.e. a sguil database rather than the initial
snort one which is included in the snort documentation).

I don't mind re-installing snort from scratch if necessary, but I'm trying
towork forward from an existing snort install and add this alerting
function.  Do you know of any documentation covering adding sguil to an
existing install, or whether I just need the exisiting database ?

Thanks,

David
=================================
David Ryan
IT Security Engineer, Global IT Security
Quintiles, Global IT - Infrastructure, QDUB

david.ryan at ...14057...
v:  +353-1-819-5186, GMT+0
m: +353-87-124-9108
=================================

"Paul Halliday" <paul.halliday at ...11827...>
10/05/2007 16:48

"David.Ryan at ...14057..." <David.Ryan at ...14057...>
cc
snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject
Re: [Snort-users] Alerting in near-real-time

http://sguil.sourceforge.net/

On 5/10/07, David.Ryan at ...14057... <David.Ryan at ...14057...> wrote:

> Thanks to all on the list for their help to date.
>
> I am still trying to get my head around something which I still can't
> understand in the overall snort model and I'm hoping someone can set me
> straight on what I'm missing (or what I'm assuming incorrectly).  I may
have
> asked this to the list before, but I can't find it.  Apologies if I'm
asking
> the same question again.
>
> What I have got so far . . .  snort sniffs packets, matches those
packets
> against rules and can log the results via a variety of output plugins to
> various repositories.  It can log directly to a variety of databases,
but
> from an optimisation point of view it is better to use unified output,
pass
> that to something like barnyard and have *it* log to the database.  Net
> result is that events are logged in the database.  This appears to be
the
> end of snorts involvement in the process from what I can see.
>
> With the data now in the database something else needs to process it
further
> if any value is to come out of the data.  There are various apps such as
> BASE, snortnotify, snortsnarf, etc .. . . which will either summarise
the
> data and mail it out or else present it via a webpage for analysis.  The
> problem I'm thinking of is that this is fine for trending or where there
is
> someone looking at the data to review recent traffic, but I don't see
how
> this can provide any sort of near-real-time alerting.
>
> Say for example I am happy to look through reports every morning at 0900
> see what happened yesterday, but I *really* *really* want to get an SNMP
or
> SMTP alert when rule # 3423 is triggered or the string "bad stuff" is
> spotted.  What do people use for this type of scenario ?  I understand
that
> it would probably involve running a query against the database every X
> minutes and acting on the results of the query, but I can't understand
how
> there aren't a set of apps out there (or at least ones I can find) that
do
> this type of thing as I would have thought it was a common requirement.
>
> David
> =================================
>  David Ryan
>  IT Security Engineer, Global IT Security
>  Quintiles, Global IT - Infrastructure, QDUB
>
>  david.ryan at ...14057...
>  v:  +353-1-819-5186, GMT+0
>  m: +353-87-124-9108
>  =================================**********************
> IMPORTANT--PLEASE READ ************************
> This electronic message, including its attachments, is COMPANY
CONFIDENTIAL
> and may contain PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information. If you
are
> not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
> disclosure,
> copying, or distribution of this message or any of the information
included
> in it is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and
> permanently delete this message and its attachments, along with any
copies
> thereof. If this electronic message contains a zipped attachment and you
do
> not have a decompression tool, you may download unZIP (free of cost)
from: