[Snort-users] Alerting in near-real-time

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Thu May 10 11:31:26 EDT 2007

Snort has two output facilities, alerting and logging.  It sounds
like you've got the logging facility pretty much figured out but you
haven't quite gotten the alerting part yet.

When you start up a Snort instance, you can setup both the logging
output option (like unified) as well as the alerting output option.
Generally if you want real-time alerts you can either setup unified
alerting to go with unified logging and have a second instance of
Barnyard running to process the alert data and inform you via your
selected method or you can go direct to one of the other alerting
output facilities.

The easy answer is to send alerts someplace like syslog and use a
syslog monitor like swatch to inform you via email when an even that
you're interested has happened.  That way you can be pretty specific
about what kinds of alerts you get informed about immediately and
which ones are lower priority (i.e. in the database).

Another option is to use a monitor like sguil that'll give you a real-
time view into the database, but that's a little more complicated to
get setup while at the same time being a lot more useful than syslog...

	-Marty