[Snort-users] Using snort to monitor traffic

CS Lee geek00l at ...11827...
Tue May 1 04:11:05 EDT 2007

Hey Frank,

Go argus, as it is better standalone application that giving you network
flow information, sancp is more powerful if you use together with sguil. By
the way both works pretty well on freebsd platform.

Have fun

On 5/1/07, Will Metcalf <william.metcalf at ...11827...> wrote:

> I would suggest that you look at SANCP or Argus
>
> http://www.metre.net/sancp.html
> http://qosient.com/argus/flow.htm
>
> I also suggest that you pickup one of Richard Bejtlich's books if you
> don't think that you need full packet captures.  You can always generate
> stats and flow data from full pcaps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Will
>
> On 4/30/07, Frank <frank at ...14116...> wrote:
> >
> > i have snort inline (freebsd, ipfw, postgres logging) set up on my
> > router
> > to watch HTTP traffic. i would like to log in such a way that i can
> > determine the last time any IP sent HTTP. i don't want to log any
> > content,
> > i just need the timestamps. i would prefer not to have to inspect the
> > content or to log every HTTP packet.
> >
> > does snort seem like the proper tool for this job? i was going to use
> > squid, but that seemed like overkill as just a transparent, non-caching
> > proxy that logs to a flat file.
> >
> > thanks,
> > frank

Best Regards,