[Snort-users] Archiving events via BASE

David Ryan David.Ryan at ...13912...
Fri Jun 22 06:22:45 EDT 2007

All,

I have a question about archiving/deleting events from a mysql database.

At the moment I have snort logging alerts to mysql and I am looking at the data via BASE 1.3.6.  I have BASE configured with an archive database and I sometimes use the archive function to move alerts that are no longer interesting.

There seems to be a problem with the archiving function, but I don't know if I am using it incorrectly.  I had one particular alert with 15,000+ events, so I went in to the view of unique alerts, selected the relevant icon on the list and selected 'archive (move) selected' from the actions.  After a long time the transaction seemed to finish OK, but when I went in to look at it again there was still some large number of these events . . . maybe 5,000+.  I checked the archive database and many of the entries had been moved.  I repeated the procedure and it came down to 1,000+ events.  Then I repeated it and it left 1.  No matter how many times I repeat, this 1 event will not move.

So, here's the question - how come when I asked BASE to move all the records of a particular type it only moved part of them, and how come it refuses to move the last transaction ?  It makes me a bit wary of the archive funtion if it has this type of issue.

Also, is there some other front end that people can recommend for manipulating the data ?  I presume I can do it nativley via sql commands, but I'm not up to speed with these commands to be confident of doing it correctly.

Thanks,

David
David Ryan
IT Security Engineer, Global IT Security
Quintiles, Global IT - Infrastructure, QDUB

david.ryan at ...14057...
v: +353-1-819-5186, GMT+0
m: +353-87-124-9108

**********************  IMPORTANT--PLEASE READ  ************************
This electronic message, including its attachments, is COMPANY CONFIDENTIAL
and may contain PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information.  If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this message or any of the information included
in it is unauthorized and strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and
permanently delete this message and its attachments, along with any copies
thereof. If this electronic message contains a zipped attachment and you do
not have a decompression tool, you may download unZIP (free of cost) from:
http://www.mk-net-work.com/us/uz/unzip.htm. Alternatively, you may request
that the attachment be resent in an uncompressed format.        Thank you.