[Snort-users] snort and mysql5 losing db connection

Dirk Geschke dirk at ...10648...
Thu Jun 14 08:43:03 EDT 2007

Hi Greg,

> I posted this on the forums a few days ago but since there has been no
> replies I am asking anyone on this list for assistance.
>

> Most of my sensors are running on centos 4 without a problem using mysql and
> base. To start getting familiar with CentOS 5 i built a test sensor which
> comes with mysql 5. I compiled the latest snort 2.6.x version.
>
> What happens if I do not get any alarms is snort loses the connection and
> starts throwing various errors like
>
> snort[7890]: database: mysql_error: MySQL server has gone away
>
> The database is working fine. I can still connect to it.

either a timeout happened or the connection was otherwise
terminated. The client library of MySQL 4.x did a reconnect
whereas this behaviour was changed with version 5.x.

Take a look at:

  http://osdir.com/ml/security.ids.snort.devel/2006-04/msg00001.html

Best regards

Dirk