[Snort-users] YUM

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Tue Jul 31 14:31:29 EDT 2007

Atkins, Dwane P wrote:
> I am having an awful time getting YUM configured on FC 4.  I cannot
> install the tar file nor can I uninstall the old one.
>

> I just want to get something that will allow me to do updates.  I can
> use apt, but do I need yum uninstalled first?

There are no more updates for Fedora Core 4, so no matter what tool you use,
you're out of luck.

Older fedoras used to be supported by the fedora legacy project, but that
project shut down.

You can probably pick up some updates here and there scattered throughout the
community, but there is no coordinated central update source for FC4.

That's the downside of fedora, you need to re-install your server every 13
months as they rapidly abandon support for old releases.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle

At present, they're on FC7, which was released over a month ago, so FC5 is now
discontinued. The only supported fedoras are 6 and 7.