[Snort-users] Configuring Barnyard with Bleeding threat rules

Paul Melson pmelson at ...11827...
Tue Jul 24 16:09:29 EDT 2007

> I am having an issue with Barnyard providing me the correct alert
information via the BASE console. I am
> running the following command:
> barnyard -c /etc/snort/barnyard.conf -g /etc/snort/gen-msg.map -s
/etc/snort/bleeding-sid-msg-map.txt -d
> /var/log/snort -f snort.log -w /var/log/snort/barnyard.waldo

You will need to rebuild sid-msg.map and gen-msg.map to include the
bleeding-edge rules.  I use the create_sidmap.pl script that comes with
oinkmaster and snort's '-c' flag:

(run after all rules are updated and copied into /opt/snort/rules)
/opt/oinkmaster/create_sidmap.pl /opt/snort/rules | sort -u >
/opt/snort/rules/sid-msg.map
/opt/snort/bin/snort -c /opt/snort/etc/snort.conf
--dump-dynamic-preproc-genmsg /opt/snort/rules/gen-msg.map

After the map files are regenerated you will want to restart barnyard so
that it rereads them.

PaulM