[Snort-users] QUESTION: use Snort to benchmark silicon

Chu Chen-Chau-ra9643 chen-chau.chu at ...14168...
Fri Jul 13 09:03:26 EDT 2007

Dear Folks:

I am a newbie for Snort and appreciate every bit of help.

I wonder if there is some sort of de facto or established way of
using Snort to benchmark the underlying devices (chips, systems, etc.)
using a fixed source (say, pcap file for playback ?) or certain
composition of packet streams to be pumped by network testers ?

My concern is about how different processors/chips/platforms can execute
Snort in a tightly controlled environment for silicon benchmarking.

It is NOT about:

   (1) to judge if another security appliance or software
   is better or worse than Snort in terms of catching offenses
   or how robust they are.

   (2) How Snort itself has improved over time and runs faster
   now.

If you are interested in what I am trying to do, please
let me know what concerns you have in carrying out such a
benchmark comparison.

Thanks for your help.

Chu