[Snort-users] [Snort-sigs] Snort rule to detect Windows PE Executable Downloads

Matt Jonkman jonkman at ...14019...
Thu Jul 12 23:32:00 EDT 2007

Humes, David G. wrote:
> alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"PE Executable
> Download"; content:"MZ"; depth:2; byte_jump:4,60,little,from_beginning;
> content:"PE|00 00|"; within:4; flow:established,from_server;
> sid:8000143; classtype:bad-unknown; rev:1;)
>
> It works this executable, http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe, but not using
> this,  http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.60/x86/putty.exe.  Why?
> Could anyone try it on their sensors and let me know if it behaves any
> differently.  Or if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this that
> does not involve matching the "!This program cannot be run in DOS mode."
> string, that would be appreciated.  Sorry Matt, I just don't think you
> can depend on that string any more.

I think you're right.

The issue with the above is you're assuming the exe is starting at the
beginning of the packet/stream, which it'll not likely be. Drop the
depth and try it that way. little higher load, but should be more reliable.

If that does the trick then we can put the appropriate versions into the
bleeding ruleset, and adjust the existing to not look for the dos string.

Matt