[Snort-users] Phil Wood Libpcap Installation Problems

darryl.taylor at ...1935... darryl.taylor at ...1935...
Mon Jan 22 22:30:47 EST 2007

Try ./configure --with-libpcap=/usr/local when compiling snort. If it still fails then the library was probably compiled statically. If that is the case, post back and I will tell you how to make it a shared object. I think I had this problem a few years ago.

From: "IT Security" <ITSEC at ...14044...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:46:59
To:<snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Snort-users] Phil Wood Libpcap Installation Problems

I'm trying to get Phil Wood's modified libpcap working on my Snort 2.6.1
sensor, but have run into some difficulties and hoping that someone out
there can help.

I've downloaded and extracted libpcap-0.9.20060417.tar.gz.  I then run:

   ./configure
   make
   make install

I then downloaded and extracted snort-2.6.1.1.tar.gz.  I then run:

   ./configure
   make

That's where it blows up.  Here is the error:

<snip>

checking for pcap_datalink in -lpcap... no

   ERROR!  Libpcap library/headers not found, go get it from
   http://www.tcpdump.org
   or use the --with-libpcap-* options, if you have it installed
   in unusual place

</snip>

Any ideas why the headers would be missing?  Header files are identified
with the .h extension correct?  Where are these supposed to reside on
the system?

I'm running CentOS 4 with 2.6.9-42.0.3.EL kernel.

Thanks in advance.

- Jesse