[Snort-users] SNORT sensor on FreeBSD Bridged IPFW Firewall!

Athena mailinglists at ...14035...
Tue Jan 16 06:08:08 EST 2007

Hi Group

I have just finished setting up snort console box with two snort sensors
running on FreeBSD and all seems to be working perfectly!

However I would be grateful if somebody would be able to help me with one
question:

Firstly here is a quick rundown of my LAN.

I have a FreeBSD-6.0 bridged firewall with three interfaces. The first two
are configured in a bridge (passed through IPFW) with no IP addresses and
the third is a management interface with one public IP Assigned.

One side of the bridge connects into a DSL router and the other side &
management interface connect into a HUB (Not Switch) where various other
FreeBSD systems with public IPs sit:

1]    POSTFIX SMTP
2]    PRIMARY DNS
3]    SNORT CONSOLE
4]    NATD SERVER

I currently have a two sensors running on both sides of the NATD Server
which logs traffic both on my private LAN and firewalled public side; this
works perfectly, however its only providing me information on my trusted
network and I still have no idea what's happening on the untrusted side.

So this leads me onto my question:

Is it possible to install a SNORT sensor on the internet facing interface of
my FreeBSD Bridge and if I did would it capture packets before they are
passed through IPFW? Or, as I suspect would it be better if I install a TAP
between my router and the internet facing interface?

Hope somebody can help & many thanks in advance.

Regards
Athena