[Snort-users] Snort 2.6.1.2 segfaults on 64bit Centos 4.2 system SOLVED- STATIC 32 Bit Compile

Thomas Munn symgryph at ...11827...
Tue Feb 13 10:53:53 EST 2007

All:

I had a devil of a time getting snort 2.6.1.2 to be stable on my 64bit
amd system.  So I tried a different approach:

There is a program called "statifier" which will statically compile a
program.  So I thought, why not try compiling snort on a 32 bit
platform, then statically linking it, and then port over to 64bit
system and see what happens.

It works GREAT.  Snort is stable, and seems to work.  There's only one
rub, the changing user context doesn't seem to work, but with
chrootuid, who cares, anyway.  Chrootuid runs snort as root, then
changes the context after things are done.

Kind of a clever hack for getting snort to work on 64bit without all
the agony of gdb traces.....