[Snort-users] Snort + NIDS + SLES10 problem

Todd Wease twease at ...1935...
Tue Feb 13 09:28:16 EST 2007

maged shaker wrote:
> Dear all
> I was installed SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 on HP pro370  , with
> one Ethernet  then i configured snort-2.4.4-10.4 that are coming with
> SLES10 distribution with snort file under /etc/sysconfig/snort ,and
> insert the interface in this file as the following :
> SNORT_INTERFACE="eth0"
> then  start the  snort daemon under /etc/init.d/snort , and it  start
> successfully , so snort was started to act as "HIDS" Host Intrusion
> detection system  , but the *problem*  with the *next* *scenario*
> when enable snort as "NIDS" Network Intrusion detection system
>
> SLES10 has two  network address , one configured with IP to allow
> administrator to monitoring and view the "Base"  Basic Analysis and
> Security Engine ,and the other interface is not configured  to use for
> sniffing  the traffic and configured with snort , and it attached to
> span port in the switch  but when insert the other network address in
> /etc/sysconfig/snort  as the following :
> SNORT_INTERFACE="eth1 "and start snort it failed when  start and tell
> me in /var/log/message :
> Parsing Rules file /etc/snort/snort.conf
> Feb 10 05:59:42 linux1 snort[9023]: FATAL ERROR: Undefined variable
> name: (/etc/snort/snort.conf:44): eth1_ADDRESS
>
> please give me advice for this issue and how to solve it
>
> Thanks
> NSM-man

Sounds like your config file is not defining eth1_ADDRESS before using
it (maybe because that interface doesn't have an ip address and so SUSE
doesn't define it - I'm guessing SUSE is mucking with the config file
based on what you put in /etc/sysconfig/snort).  Can you please post
your config file (/etc/snort/snort.conf), /etc/sysconfig/snort and the
SUSE init script?

Thanks
Todd