[Snort-users] BASE config problem - update

Luis Torres al1629608 at ...131...
Tue Feb 6 16:11:46 EST 2007

David,

Actually I jumped to conclusions and setting up a new IDS box I ran into the exact same problem... php-mysql is not really the problem here.

The problem is that on version 5 of php they disabled mysql support and ADODB relied on that to be on (I didn't go into much detail on the 'why'). If you are running "normal" PHP scripts that use the built in mysql functions then php-mysql gives you all that's needed.

So, long story short. You can compile your own version of PHP --with-mysql or you can just install PHP 4.3.9 or your favorite php4 binary.

I took the second option because my box is for use only by the IDS and my focus was on getting it up and running, not on building my own PHP binary... for now at least  =)

Good luck,

Luis

----- Original Message ----
From: "David.Ryan at ...13912..." <David.Ryan at ...13912...>
To: Luis Torres <al1629608 at ...131...>
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Tuesday, February 6, 2007 10:39:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] BASE config problem - update

Luis,

Thanks for the reply.  I have been
away from the machine for a while and am only now getting to run these
commands.

php --version
->

PHP 5.1.6 (cli) (built: Nov  3
2006 07:27:53)

Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group

Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006
Zend Technologies

rpm -qa | grep -i mysql
->

mysql-5.0.27-1.fc5

mysql-server-5.0.27-1.fc5

perl-DBD-MySQL-3.0007-1.fc5

php-mysql-5.1.6-1.2

snort-mysql+flexresp-2.6.1.1-4.fc5

The output of phpinfo( ) includes the
following. I guess the '- -without-mysql' is the main problem -

"

magic' '--without-sqlite' '--with-libxml-dir=/usr' '--with-xml'
'--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs'  --without-mysql' '--without-gd' '--without-odbc'
'--disable-dom' '--disable-dba' '--without-unixODBC' '--disable-pdo' '--disable-xmlreader

"

Based on your mail it looks like I'm
not going anywhere until I get mysql support added/included to my php install.
 I originally didn't have php-mysql installed, but I added it before
running the rom query above.  I retried the setup script, but unfortunately
I still get the same errors.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks,

David

=================================

David Ryan

IT Security Engineer, Global IT Security

Quintiles SIS, QDUB

david.ryan at ...14057...

=================================

Luis Torres <al1629608 at ...131...>

29/01/2007 14:55

David.Ryan at ...13912...,
snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net

cc

Subject

Re: [Snort-users] BASE config
problem - update

Hi,

the PHP interpreter generates the errors you see on apache's error_log.
The error is saying your php can't find the mysql_pconnect function so:

1. What version of php do you have? (use php --version)

2. Is it compiled with php support or have php-mysql? (create a script
only with phpinfo() inside and/or run rpm -qa | grep -i mysql if you're
on an rpm based system)

3. what happens if you create a little script just to open a connection
to mysql? does it work? (just call mysql_pconnect, then close)

Good luck

Luis