[Snort-users] Snort Debian newbie all is well but I have rules questions

Richard Bejtlich taosecurity at ...11827...
Mon Apr 9 09:58:50 EDT 2007

David wrote:

> Hello snort users, gurus, developers, evangelists, ranters and ravers. I am a Snort newbie.

Hi David,

I strongly second Joel's recommendation to run Snort from source.  You
don't need to be hassled by trying to figure out issues introduced by
Debian package maintainers while you're learning Snort.  2.3.2 is also
very old.

I'm writing a series of monthly articles on Snort called the Snort
Report.  If you look at the top of the list of articles here

http://www.taosecurity.com/research.html

you'll find links to all of the articles written thus far.  Start with
the first one to learn how to install Snort from source.  Replace
whatever version I used with 2.6.1.4.

Sincerely,

Richard
http://taosecurity.blogspot.com