[Snort-users] Query on the format of 'icode' and 'itype' options

Suresh Kumar J suresh.kumar.j at ...11827...
Wed Apr 4 03:22:08 EDT 2007

I wanted to hear from the Snort developers/experts about the validity
of the following usages of 'itype' and 'icode' constructs. These
options are accepted by the Snort 2.6 tool, but am not sure if they
make any sense:
itype:> x <> y
itype:< x <> y
itype:> x > y
itype:< x < y

--Suresh

On 4/4/07, Joel Esler <joel.esler at ...1935...> wrote:
> When in doubt, test it out!
>

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 12:38:20PM +0530, it looks like Suresh Kumar J sent me:
> > Just to clarify, I have used '41' and '80' just as an example. My
> > question was on the syntax of the 'itype' and 'icode' constructs...
> >

> > On 4/4/07, Suresh Kumar J <suresh.kumar.j at ...11827...> wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I have a question on the format of the 'icode' and 'itype' options
> > > since it seems to cause confusion.
> > >
> > > Below is the format of the 'itype' and 'icode' options as defined in v2.6.x:
> > > itype: [<|>]<number>[<><number>];
> > > icode: [<|>]<number>[<><number>];
> > >
> > > With this format, I know that the following options are valid:
> > > (itype:<41;)
> > > (itype:>80;)
> > > (itype:41<>80;)
> > >
> > > I wanted to know whether or not the following options are valid and
> > > really make sense:
> > > (itype:>41<80)
> > > (itype:>41<>80)
> > > (itype:<41<>80)
> > > (itype:>41>80)
> > > (itype:<41<80)
> > >
> > > Appreciate your inputs.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thanks and Regards,
> > > Suresh Kumar J
> > >

> > --
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Suresh Kumar J

> Joel Esler                                          Security Consultant
>        gpg key: http://demo.sourcefire.com/jesler.pgp.key

Thanks and Regards,
Suresh Kumar J