[Snort-users] Problem with Oinkmaster

Alejandro alejandritox at ...7588...
Thu Sep 21 14:16:17 EDT 2006

Dear all, I can't download the updated rules through Oinkmaster, I just
get my oinkmaster code and my snort version is 2.6.0. After that I setup
the proper url variable in the oinkmaster.conf file:

url =
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/da926d00184a5da6c160f917a96d15f0748739d2/
snortrules-snapshot-2.6.0.tar.gz

Then I run this command:

#/usr/local/bin/oinkmaster.pl -o /etc/snort/rules

and I get this error:

cachito:/usr/local/etc# /usr/local/bin/oinkmaster.pl -o /etc/snort/rules
Downloading file from
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/snortrules-snapshot-2.6.0.tar.gz...
/usr/local/bin/oinkmaster.pl: Error: could not download from
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/snortrules-snapshot-2.6.0.tar.gz.
Output from wget follows:

 http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/snortrules-snapshot-2.6.0.tar.gz
=> `/tmp/oinkmaster.szQ60NOHkH/url.yyvbJbPmlx/snortrules.tar.gz'
Resolving www.snort.org... 199.107.65.177
Connecting to www.snort.org|199.107.65.177|:80... connected.
15:10:47 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Oink, oink. Exiting...

Can you help me to update my rules with Oinkmaster ???

Really thanks,

Alejandro